The Transportation Projects Intern (Transportation Intern) will be responsible for assisting with projects that engage students in making alternative transportation at OSU fun, safe, accessible, and worthwhile. He or she will work with the Transportation Project Coordinator, SSI staff, volunteers, OSU faculty and staff, and Corvallis community members to make sure these projects are successful. If you want to learn project and event organizing skills, while gaining first hand experience launching bicycle related projects, this internship is right for you!
- Plan a weekend bicycle tour event in the spring is an opportunity where an intern can engage in the planning and execution of this event.
- Assist the Transportation Project Coordinator with the Bicycle Extravaganza.
- Help with expanding the OSU Bike Loan Program.
- Assist with the overall planning, advertising, and executing of various sustainability-related projects.
- Conduct research, engage in networking, and facilitate discussion on the feasibility of projects being considered or pursued.
- Coordinate volunteers.
- Perform outreach.
- Assist with marketing and publicity efforts surrounding the projects.
- Meet regularly with the SSI Transportation Projects Coordinator to plan activities and brainstorm ways to improve the mechanisms and resources facilitating those activities.
- Work at least 1-5 hours/week for the duration of the internship. (Additional hours may be negotiated.)
- Some understanding of, and interest in, sustainability.
- General project management experience.
- Experience working with volunteers.
- Specialization in a certain type of project (e.g. legislative, event, policy and operations, resource development).
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team.
- Event and campaign planning experience.
- Understanding of different ways to create make alternative transportation fun, safe, accessible, and worthwhile.
- Great people skills.
- Interest in contributing to improving both the activities and mechanisms of the SSI.
Employment Dates and Hours:
Work at least 1-5 hours/week for the duration of the internship. (Additional hours may be negotiated.)
Recommended lengths include: (a) 10 weeks, (b) 21-24 weeks, and (c) 35 weeks.
The SSI will work with the student to secure credit for the internship.
Terms and Conditions:
Applications are open to students and non-students, but preference will be given to students. In order to be considered a student, the applicant must be enrolled in at least 6 credits at OSU during the internship, during the term prior to the internship, or during the term following the internship. Interns, like all staff, are expected to affirm and uphold University policies that help create and maintain a welcoming and equal opportunity campus. OSU and the SSI do not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran’s status.
Submit a cover letter and resume to the Transportation Projects Coordinator (email@example.com).
For more information about the SSI, please visit http://oregonstate.edu/ssi. Recommended lengths include: (a) 10 weeks, (b) 21-24 weeks, and (c) 35 weeks.