The Landscape Projects Intern will be responsible for assisting with, and developing projects that educate and engage students in sustainable landscape projects on the OSU campus. The Landscape intern will be responsible for assisting with weekly garden work parties and garden planning for the Student Sustainability Center garden. In addition, the intern will have the flexibility to design and implement workshops, and/or events that suit their interests and skills. She or he will work with the Landscape Project Coordinator, SSI staff, volunteers, OSU faculty and staff, and Corvallis community members to ensure projects are successful.
- Maintain and improve sustainable landscape efforts on campus.
- Actively engage and inform students and community members on how to do sustainable landscape.
- Assist the current landscape coordinator with various tasks.
- Meet regularly with the SSI Landscape Coordinator to plan activities and brainstorm ways to improve the mechanisms and resources facilitating those activities.
- Work at least 2-5 hours/week for the duration of the internship. (Additional hours may be negotiated.)
- Some understanding of, and interest in, sustainability.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team.
- Experienced/Familiar with gardening & landscape systems
- Experience with teaching and helping others.
- Interest developing new landscape systems that exibit sustainable land practices.
Demonstrated leadership skills
An awareness of and/or connection to campus and community groups in position-specific area of sustainability
Employment Dates and Hours:
Work at least 1-5 hours per week throughout the term (additional hours may be negotiated)
The SSI will work with the student to secure credit for the internship.
Terms and Conditions:
Applications are open to students and non-students, but preference will be given to students. In order to be considered a student, the applicant must be enrolled in at least 6 credits at OSU during the internship, during the term prior to the internship, or during the term following the internship. Interns, like all staff, are expected to affirm and uphold University policies that help create and mainatin a welcoming and equal opportunity campus. OSU and the SSI do not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran’s status.
For more information about the SSI, please visit http://oregonstate.edu/sustainability/ssi. Together, applicants and SSI staff will negotiate an appropriate length for the internship. Recommended lengths include: (a) 10 weeks, (b) 21-24 weeks, and (c) 35 weeks.