- About the SSI
- Student Sustainabilty Center
- Our Work
- Get Involved
- Contact Us
The Student Sustainability Initiative (SSI) Media Coordinator is an employee of the SSI and a member of the SSI Marketing Team. This Team includes the Design, Media, and Outreach Coordinators, and is tasked with publicizing the SSI and its activities. Of that work, this position is responsible for promoting the SSI through digital, print, and in-person visibility and outreach efforts.
All staff members of the SSI are responsible for furthering the SSI’s mission and vision in the following ways: (1) recruit and train potential SSI staff, interns, and volunteers, (2) act as a liaison between the SSI and other organizations, (3) encourage and support students in furthering their own vision of sustainability on campus, (4) develop a sense of ownership and community for students within the SSI, (5) increase community understanding of the need for a sustainable culture and the opportunities and resources available to address that need, and (6) encourage movement by the institution towards a sustainable future.
● Hold regular office hours at the SSC
● Attend staff meetings
● Meet individually with Director at least twice quarterly to check in
● Recruit, coordinate, and supervise volunteers and interns
● Collaborate closely with members of the Marketing Team to (1) ensure promotion of the SSI and its activities, (2) stay up-to-date on the activities and advertising needs of project coordinators, and (3) assist other groups in the promotion of sustainability-related activities
● Act as a liaison between the SSI and related grant recipients, helping them plan and implement their projects
● Coordinate and facilitate digital and print promotion of the SSI and its activities
● Manage the SSI’s online presence, including: website(s), social media page(s), and blog(s).
● Continually seek to improve the efficacy and efficiency of the SSI's promotional efforts, strategies, abilities, and resources
● Stay informed of and organize opportunities for the SSI to increase its exposure
● Maintain and improve communication between the SSI and individuals, student groups, OSU departments, and community groups for visibility purposes
● An understanding of, and passion for, sustainability
● Detail oriented
● Problem solving skills
● Strong communication skills
● Experience working with diverse groups of people
● Ability to work individually and as part of a team
● Great people skills
● Experience working with volunteers or interns
● Online visibility experience: web, social media, etc.
● Demonstrated writing ability
● Demonstrated inclination to take initiative
● Experience doing advertising, marketing, or outreach for projects or organizations
● Knowledge of the SSI, its history, and its activities
● Experience coordinating an advertising, outreach, or marketing campaign
● Experience coordinating volunteers, interns, or staff
● Experience working with the media (press release, letters to the editor, etc.)
● Demonstrated leadership abilities
● Experience with Drupal
● Web design experience: PHP, HTML, etc.
● Design, photography, or multimedia experience
● Knowledge of visibility opportunities and tactics at OSU
● Awareness of, and connections to, campus and community sustainability groups
● Employment starts May 20 at 5-15 hours/week. At that point in time, the successful candidate will work with the current Coordinator on hiring, transitioning, and training.
● If working over the summer, will work at 10-20 hours/week starting June 16.
● SSI staff training and orientation is September 12-27, totalling approximately 80 hours. Participation of all staff is mandatory.
● Expected to work 10-15 hours/week during fall, winter, and spring terms. Some work may be necessary over breaks as well.
● Employment will last until June 15th of the following year.
Submit a cover letter and resume addressed to the SSI Search Committee online at oregonstate.edu/ssi/jobs. In the cover letter, please address at least one of the following: why are you interested in working for the SSI; what do you feel you have to contribute to the program and/or the position; how do you feel the SSI can best create a culture of sustainability at OSU. Applications are due Friday, May 3, 2013. Please indicate position area(s) of interest and whether or not there is interest in working over the summer.